Well, it's here......the new mixer is here. Safety freaking cage and all. But I must admit, that (aside from the safety cage), the mixer is better than I thought. I found out that all our Hobart bowls and attachments WILL fit on it, which is great. Other pluses include:
- that great "new mixer smell" which Jewlz likened to the smell of her mother's sewing machine. Namely, gear oil. Mmmmm.....nothing like a good ol' whiff of gear oil in the morning to get you going.
- a bowl lift that is actually easy to lift. I can do it one-handed, unlike the old Hobart where I had to use two hands and a "power-lifting grunt". UNNNNNNH!
- a TIMER! No more over-whipped egg whites or homemade butter from cream. Not that I ever walked away from the mixer and completely spaced it off.......no, not me.
- it's quiet. Not that that really makes any difference, since I have a convection oven that more than makes up for my lack of peace and quiet in my kitchen. And a radio that keeps me awake by blaring classic rock into my head.
- it has a warranty! But it's only good in Canada on Tuesdays between 1:00 pm and 1:05 pm. It's always good to read the fine print.
- it's shiny. Shiny is good. Shiny is cool. I plan to keep it shiny too........which brings me to my list of cons.........
- keeping it clean......because of the freaking safety cage, there's so much more to wipe down.....more nooks and crannies for flour, and various other "goop" to accumulate.
- the safety cage. I STILL hate it, although there IS an opening (a small opening....it has to be small....if I could get my hand in there, it would sort of defeat the purpose of the cage.) that comes with a pouring shield so I can add ingredients while the mixer is running and the cage is in place. But realistically the opening is so small that adding things through it is very inefficient because you have to do it so slowly. HOWEVER, I do know how to disable the cage mechanism....heh heh heh. I'll fiddle with that next week.
Jewlz loves the new mixer too. Having second speed back is a good thing. Here she is testing it out. Have I mentioned that Jewlz rocks my world and kicks my butt? I think I have. It's awesome to have a co-worker that not only steps up to the plate but hits a home run every time.......and she's not even on steroids. She drinks tea and eats lotsa veggies.....unlike me, the coffee-junkie carnivore.
In the left hand foreground is the ruling hand of Boss. Do not mess with the ruling hand! But it is OK to mess with the ruling head. HA HA! Just kidding Boss!!!!
He reads my blog you know. So, Boss, howzabout that dishwasher???? You know, that one.....sitting outside?
Or is that the first installment in the Village Baker Sculpture Park?
It's a very good thing he puts up with smart mouthed employees.